Monday, December 12, 2005

On a Cold Winter Night

It is a cold winter night. I've had my evening hot chocolate and am watching the cats, littermates, spoon together for warmth on the sofa.

If you have not done all your holiday shopping yet, you might keep these in mind. Acorn Polar Pair are the best house slippers in the world. I've had mine for over a decade and the ribbed cuff still holds them snugly, but not too tightly, on my ankle. Sturdy enough to wear out to get the paper, comfy enough to wear for hours. The hardest part is actually finding them. The manufacturer won't sell them directly to you, but provides a list of retail stores that supposedly carry them and links to online retailers that also may or may not have them. But if you can find a pair buy them.

As I was out gassing up the van this evening I took note of the bright white planet that has been hanging halfway down the horizon for a couple of months now. I think it is either Saturn or Uranus. Sometimes on the other side of the sky I can see Mars, smaller and redder. Someone in the family has developed an interest in astronomy in recent years and I've been learning all these things. It is amazing to think that all those years I had no idea what was up there in the sky.

The Smedley Log has a link to a wonderful winter poem on the nature of love.

Wishing you a warm and toasty night.

No comments: