Friday, August 15, 2008

The Matthew 25 Network

There are all sorts of public policy and issue oriented PACs springing up. One of the more interesting, at least to me, is the Matthew25 Network. It takes its name from Matthew 25:40 (And the King will answer and say to them, "Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me." )

Part of their mission statement reads:

Therefore, while no elected official will be without flaw, we come together as individuals to support candidates for public office who share the values of the Matthew 25 Network: promoting life with dignity, caring for the least of these, strengthening and supporting families, stewardship of God’s Creation, working for peace and justice at home and abroad, and promoting the common good.


They have a new ad out promoting Barack Obama's views on the family and family oriented issues. Items that might have appeared in the news recently aren't mentioned directly, neither are any peculiarities in Sen. McCain's background, but some people might feel they are being alluded to. In cases like this I tend to think it is not so much a case of John 8:7 ("He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her first.") as it is "There but for the grace of God go I." (much as I wanted this last statement to be Biblical, it isn't -- the quote seems to have originated with a man named John Bradford in the 1500s.)

But I still think the Matthew25 Network sounds cool.

No comments: