Friday, August 22, 2008

PA in the Sept Issue of Money Magazine

While we are all waiting for the VP announcements and conventions to start, I’m catching up on my reading, in this case the new issue of Money Magazine.

Wharton prof Lyle Ungar, who was part of a team that developed a longevity calculator, is quoted in “Are you ready to live for a century?” by Jean Chatzky. You can check you own estimated lifespan by clicking on mortality at gusset.wharton.upenn.edu. (I am estimated to live until 92, difficult for me to grasp as my father died at 57).

Diane Corrigan, CFO of the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania is quoted in the “Question of the month” (on whether people should carry their Medicare card as it has the SSN on it).

Philadelphia is included in the chart accompanying “Is it wise to downsize,” by Carla Fried

Ursinus College is mentioned in “Is college still worth the price,” by Penelope Wang ” We also find this quote:

According to a 2004 University of Pennsylvania study, prestigious degrees aren’t as valuable at major corporations as there were a generation ago.
As a graduate of a state university I find this reassuring.

The top 2 of the ten top-performing stocks, Philadelphia Consolidated, and Rohm & Haas, are located in the Philly area. I didn’t check # 3 – 10, maybe some of them are too.

No comments: