Monday, August 10, 2009

A Scene from Two Marriages

About 10 days ago The New York Times ran an excellent article on a marriage that could easily have ended but didn't. Read "Those aren't fighting words, Dear" by Laura A. Munson (7/31). I wish there were more stories like this in the media and fewer celebrity quickie marriage articles.

On the other hand, some people should think about calling it quits. Yesterday I was out and about. As I was walking towards the entrance of one store five people, presumably Mom, Dad, and three kids, maybe 15, 13, and 10, were coming out. Mom and Dad started literally shoving each other, with occasional profanities thrown in. The saddest thing was that the kids didn't bat an eye; it must be a common occurrence. I watched from inside the store as they kept it up the arguing; the shoving started up again once they reached their van. I went back outside and, from the safety of the sidewalk, called over and asked if I should call someone (say, 911). I addressed the question to both of them but just Mom answered, saying no, it hadn't gotten to that point or something along those lines. She was giving as good as she was getting in the shoving department so I was as worried as much about her as I was the kids. What an awful life they must have.

No comments: