Thursday, January 26, 2006

Community Trust

This week one of the cars was on the fritz. Turn the key once and the instrument panel lit up. Turn it twice to the ignition position and the panel goes dark and there is a sad “click” sound. The headlights still work so it isn’t the battery. We left a note okaying a tow and a key in the night drop of the local garage. They call. The car needs a part. The mechanic can jury rig something until the part comes in, to let us drive it around. They’ll let us know when the part is in and we can bring it back. The next morning I walk down to the garage to get the car. Even though we’re usually only in for regular maintenance, oil changes, inspections, etc., the guy recognizes me and brings the car up. I drive off. If the guy says he’s put a temporary solution in place and that it’s safe, I believe him. What he put in my car is what he would put in the car he drives and that his kids ride in. He doesn’t ask for a dime. He knows that when they call with the part we’ll bring the car back and we’ll pay whatever the charges are. He isn’t padding the bill. Our check won’t bounce. It is a level of trust built up over years of good service on their part and prompt payment on ours. This, to me, is part of the social fabric of a community, part of social capital.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have plenty of "community trust" examples. They are even more remarkable because they happen in Philadelphia -- quite a big city with a lot of strangers.

*My dry cleaner, who lets me pick up my dry cleaning and pay later if I don't have enough cash.

*My next-door neighbor, who wears my campaign button all the time even though she's not into politics.

*My health insurance agent, who out of the blue invited me to his condo association meeting so I could pick up some new real estate clients.

*My deceased grandmother's food delivery man from Little Pete's Restaurant (now closed, but was at 19th and Chestnut). For the last few years of my grandmother's life, he delivered hot food to her 3 times a week and always was cheerful, punctual, and professional. And I didn't realize until her last year of life that for several years she gave him lower than average tips -- not because she was a cheap tipper, but because she didn't know what to tip. After she died, I saw "Einstein," as he is known, and slipped him an appropriate accumulated tip (plus interest) to thank him for all his years of kindness to her.

That's what it's all about -- when people do things they don't have to do ... and when it's based on thoughtfulness without any expectation of a returned favor.

John Featherman
Republican Candidate, US Senate-PA
www.featherman.com

LVDem said...

Social Capital is a great concept to research. I put it to use in my college days when I joined a fraternity. Our moto was "doing the positively unexpected." We did all kinds of admittedly dumb stuff all in the name of improve the lives of people around us. During finals, we would have people make arrangements to do a drop by at a friend's room to deliver a snack and a good luck word or two. We didn't have to do it but we did. It improved the lives of those around us and it is why we joined a fraternity: service to others.

Too many people are out for themselves and only look at capital. They ignore that there is a need to focus on society too. Case in point: roadways during rush hour. Social capital be damned!