Monday, July 25, 2005

PA in the WSJ

I traded in some unlikely to be used frequent flier miles for a 3 month subscription to the Wall Street Journal. Often I don't get a chance to read it until the weekend so I don't always see things quickly. In a stack I went through recently there were a few interesting stories:

"Philadelphia Exchange is Courting Investors" (Tuesday July 12, p. C3). I dont' remember seeing this in the Inky but maybe I just missed it. Morgan Stanley and Creduit Suisse First Boston, and UBS Securities are considering buying a piece of the Philadelphia Exchange. If, like me, you were only vaugely aware that we had an exchange, you may wish to visit it's website here o rread a brief overview here.

The other story is quite timely. On Tuesday, July 19, p. B1, there is a story called "Keeping Up is Hard to Do," on a Pennsylvania couple having a hard time keeping up with bills. The Bellinis are a hard working couple with kids, who currently have trouble paying for gas. Mr. Bellini works for Comcast and hasn't received a raise in three years. Mrs. Bellini works for an eye doctor. I wonder what they think of the recent legislative pay raise, or the legislature's justification that it is doing a good job and deserves it? Isn't that a slap in the face to this family and all the others like it?

No comments: