Sunday, June 12, 2005

Selling My Body

I didn't actually sell it; I gave it away. And not all of it, just part. My hair. It used to be the only time I had a chance to get my hair cut was when I went to professional conferences. They are almost always in places near shopping areas and since I never did get into the whole shoe-buying thing I would get a haircut instead. The last few years, though, I either havent' been able to get away or the trip was cut so short there wasn't any extra time. So my hair grew. A woman at work had breast cancer two years ago and one thing she talked about was how hard it is to find a good wig. Her comments stuck with me. There is an organization called Locks of Love, that will take hair, in lengths of 10 inches or more, and make wigs for children who have medically-related hair loss. Most stylists can accomodate the requirements for sending in hair, but there are participating chains, such as the Hair Cuttery and (I think) Great Clips. These places will cut your hair for free and send your ponytail off to Locks of Love. I went to the Hair Cuttery, got a free cut, and my hair is currently winging its way to a bald kid somewhere who will probably be ecstatic to get it, split ends and all.

When I started talking about wanting to do this, as much to ensure accountability as anything else (if I've told people I intend to do this and don't it makes me look bad; creating the expectation helps me follow through on my intentions), I was surprised at how many people have also done the same thing, a 5 year old girl, a high school boy, a variety of adults. Lots of people. I was afraid my distinguished temples (what Miss Clairol calls "resistant gray") would disqualify me but since everything else as "Dark Champagne Blond" (or so it says on the box), they took it.

If you have long hair and it is starting to get in the way now that warm weather is here, think about giving it away to someone who would be thrilled to have it. You may think your hair is full of faults but to someone without any it is a priceless gift.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a great thing to do.

AboveAvgJane said...

Albert, a close friend, who knows my chea --- er, frugal nature, pointed out that I may have been attracted by the free haircut aspect. I say if you can save a buck and do a good deed at the same time, well, more the better. ;)