Tuesday, June 28, 2005

New Topic Poll on Joe's Site

I did finally sign up as a registered user on Joe Hoeffel's site and left one comment. If you take a look the poll for next week's featured topic is up. This week's choices are:

Minimum Wage
Base Closings
Lobbying in PA
H.J.RES.55, the bipartisan resolution calling for a plan to end the war

I'm leaning towards lobbying myself but all of them look good. Someone has remarked, off site, that I seem to be obsessed with Hoeffel. This is not the case. Obsessed people are whacky losers that wander around talking to themselves. I am not obsessed, I am focused. Focused people are functioning and successful and if they appear to be talking to themselves they probably have on a cell phone headset. You see the difference here? Yes, I thought so.

Hoeffel has posted his first local endorsement, of Lori Schreiber for township commissioner in Abington. I met her once in passing at a political event. We didn't actually speak but she was very memorable, if only for having her white blonde hair in something close to a buzz cut. It would be great to get more good people in at the very local level. My township commissioner never holds meetings or forums and the only communication I've ever had is a form letter that said nothing in particular. Even so, this is an improvement over the last one.

I encourage everyone to take an interest in their elected officials at this level. It is often the race you can have the most influence on. I applaud Mr. Hoeffel for not ignoring the local races. They can be very important. I'd love to see more information on these local people. Maybe a Progressive D of the month profile of people from around the state?

But, remember, this is focusing, not obsessing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

AboveAvgJane,

"Anonymous" again, still enjoying your opinions. I too appear, ahem, "focused" on Mr. Hoeffel's site, although I am becoming slightly disenchanted as he has yet to discuss topics of great interest to me. I think that I'm so particularly "focused" on him because reading this (former?) politician's opinion about, well, anything really, is refreshing. His views are not canned, nor are they penned by some Caucus' Communications Department. At least I'm hoping that this is the case. Well, to me, this is refreshing - I work on the "inside," so It's nice to hear an intelligent independent voice, much like yours. Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

Hi Anonymous (and Jane),
I work on Joe's site and I can tell you that his views are definitely coming directly from him. We are working on making sure that the content gets updated more regularly (but still comes from Joe) and that it stays interesting. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. suggestions@joehoeffelandfriends.com

AboveAvgJane said...

Well, gosh, I'm so popular today. ;)

Anonymous, you will have to come up with a nom-de-blogcomment so I'll know it is you and not some unknown anonymous. I agree it is interesting to read what someone who is not currently in office has to say, as he might be more comfortable speaking freely. From what I've seen and read Hoeffel was more outspoken that a lot of pols, though, even while in office. Thanks for your kind words. I like your use of "independent." It sounds much better than "stubborn" and "pig-headed," which I hear more often.

Hilary, how nice of you to drop by! Thank you for stopping in and clarifying things. I appreciate your time.