Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Nutter Wants to Drop DROP

Mayor Nutter is asking Philadelphians to sign a petition asking City Council to do away with the DROP program.

Partial text of email:

The Deferred Retirement Option Plan (DROP) has cost Philadelphia taxpayers at least $100 million since its creation in 1999. That's way too much, and that's why I have called upon City Council to eliminate DROP.

But rather than end DROP, City Council passed a bill in June that would have amended the program at an additional cost of $15 million to $20 million. I vetoed that bill, and I refuse to sign any bill that stops short of fully eliminating the DROP program.

City Council will be back in session in early September, and they may try to override my veto. If you agree with me that the DROP program has already cost the city too much and must be eliminated, then I need you to make your voice heard loud and clearly in City Hall.

No comments: