Saturday, January 02, 2010

"App-y Cats

Mr J. gave me an Ipod Touch for Christmas and I've been having a lot of fun with it. The first apps I downloaded were twitter and a congressional directory. My favorite, though, is the Mid-Atlantic Audubon Guide to Birds. It is very cool, with images, maps, and, get this, recorded bird calls. But, wait, the fun doesn't stop there! In addition to the enjoyment of just browsing and listening to bird sounds, I've discovered an additional use for this app.

Try it out on your cats. That's right. Play bird sounds when your cats are in the room. So far I've discovered that while cats will perk up at the sound of adult birds they will get up to investigate juvenile birds. For example, the adult cries of the redtail hawk (cat category: things that can eat me) gets less of a response than the juvenile redtail hawk (cat category: things that I can eat).

Maybe I need to get out more?

No comments: