Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Let's Hope This Doesn't Happen Again

When reading Joe Biden's Promises to Keep I noticed this passage about his first senatorial campaign, against incumbent Republican Cale Boggs (p. 68):

During the question-and-answer session at the close of the Hadassah debate, a man in the audience asked Boggs about his position on the Genocide Treaty. The treaty had been written in response to the Holocaust, but for years the radical right-wing John Birchers had blocked its ratification. The Birchers said it threatened our national sovereignty. The treaty was a big issue in the Jewish community, and the guy in the audience had lobbed Boggs a softball. But Boggs was flummoxed. "I'm sorry," he said. "I'm not familiar with the specifics of the Genocide Treaty. I'll check on the details and get back to you." So the guy said I should answer the question, which was contrary to the rules of the debate. But the moderator agreed. I knew the treaty and I knew the answer cold. This was an opportunity to hit Boggs hard. The truth was, I was surprised that a two-term United States senator was unfamiliar with the Genocide Treaty. But I didn't even have to think about the answer; I probably had better political instincts then than I do now. Like anybody who's been in politics three decades, I've build up barnacles. Today, I'd probably win the point but lose the match because I'd be too busy ripping somebody's head off with the facts. But I knew enough in 1972 to know that nobody in the audience wanted to see Boggs embarrassed -- it would have been like clubbing the family's favorite uncle. So I said, "I'm not sure. I promise I'll get back to you as well."


As we go into the vice presidential debate tomorrow, I will be hoping he still has his barnacles.

No comments: