Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Interview with Lynn Doyle


Lynn Doyle, host and producer of "It's Your Call" on CN8, was willing to answer some interview questions. Doyle also serves as CN8's political director and will be providing post-debate analysis this evening following the last presidential debate. Doyle has won 9 Emmys. She has worked in television for 25 years but prior to that she was a print journalist.


You once worked as a spokeswoman for a Maryland governor, and also worked in corporate communications. How has that internal political experience and corporate experience informed and influenced your work as a journalist?

It’s given me exposure to a different perspective in terms of communicating with the public. What I mean is that journalists are trying to get the information in a timely fashion because they’re up against deadlines. When you’re on the other side, you have to accommodate those needs -- but at the same time you have to control those needs.

I think I was successful working for the governor because I appreciated the deadlines of a journalist, since I had been one. I knew TV needed a live shot and reporters wanted a sound bite. They loved working with me because I had been there. I had insight into the other side.

The Comcast Newsmakers, a brief segment that highlights local projects or groups, is reportedly an idea you brought with you from Maryland . Tell us one or two of your favorite Newsmaker stories.

I co-created the concept with my husband in 1985, who was GM of the system at the time. He wanted to take advantage of Turner's opportunity, and I figured out the format. CNN Headline News gave cable operators five minutes to talk about local issues. In Baltimore it was first called “Up Close.”

The idea was to give people a local version of headline news – what was happening with their leaders. It’s been a monumental success, and Comcast now uses this all over the country.

One of the first interviews I did in that format was with a young member of the House of Delegates in Maryland named Bob Ehrlich, who had little exposure to TV. Years later I ended up interviewing him again when he was the governor of Maryland .

I also had to interview the chairman of the Baltimore County Council, who controlled the franchise for cable television -- it was my father! I often had to interview him and do so in a way that the average person would not know we were related.

The very first Newsmakers I did in New Jersey in 1995 was with the mayor (Louis DeBell of Roseland) whose concern was goose poop. So my first interview in N.J. was how to control the geese population on the soccer fields and keep the kids from being exposed to E. coli. When he started explaining that it was a community health concern, I understood the subject matter.

Who picks the topics for It’s Your Call? How involved are you personally in the selection of guests?

I generally pick the topics for the program and, of course, am open to suggestions from staff and member of the public. I ultimately make the final decision. After 13 years, I obviously have guests I’m comfortable with and familiar with. If I feel there are certain people that can speak to a topic, I suggest them. Producers always find new guests; however, I’m involved in every inch of the show.

To ask you the same question that has been asked of someone else recently, what magazines and newspapers do you regularly read? What other information sources to you read, listen to or view regularly?

I read everything I can get my hands on. I watch the Today Show every morning to start my day off with what’s happened. I read two or three newspapers every day, People magazine, TIME magazine, sports …and the National Enquirer. If you write it, I’ll read it. I like it all. I haven’t gotten into blogging, but am being exposed to it by younger staff members

Your husband, who had been the Eastern Division president, recently left CN8. Having worked for the same company many years, is your household adjusting to the change?

Yes, between us we have 51 years of service to Comcast, so it will always be a huge part of our lives. Having said that, it’s a very exciting time for him to be presented with new opportunities and explore them.

Having worked in print journalism and then moved to broadcast, what do you see as the future of newspapers?

It will be very challenging for newspapers in the format that we are accustomed to; news is instantaneous now. There are 24/7 news channels. As for the Internet, people are breaking stories on it and TV is pulling them from there. I think we’re going to see more in-depth, subject matter-oriented newspapers versus “breaking news” newspapers. That will involve more expensive and involved investigative reporting.

This year we have a woman running for vice president and a woman who almost made it to the top of the ticket. What women do you see waiting in the wings to run nationally in the next few years?

You can’t count Hillary out again; obviously, she’s going to watch the results over the next four years. You can’t rule out Nancy Pelosi. Or Sarah Palin. Those are three that come to mind -- they are the three most predominant. As for Diane Feinstein, you just never know.

How satisfied are you with the diversity and breadth of the people who call your show or send in e-mail questions / comments? Who isn’t calling in that you would like to hear from?

I’m pretty happy with the diversity. I do think we hear from men, women and different races and nationalities. I’m more than satisfied and enormously pleased with the diversity. I just want more to call in! Young people call depending upon the topic.

If you could change three things about Pennsylvania state government, what would they be?

I wish Harrisburg was a bit closer because then I might run for office!

What are the pros and cons of the debate formats we have seen -- the traditional podium-based, questions from the moderator, versus the town hall forum with questions from the audience and e-mail?

The pro of any debate is that you get to hear from the candidates on the specific issues that are important. They’re on the spot and they need to address concerns.

The con is that the way it’s been, follow up is minimal because time is limited. The town hall debate was very constrained; quite frankly, the candidates did not stray from message. There hasn’t been enough follow up and interaction from the moderators. There’s a blatant disregard for rules and the timing. Town hall attendees weren’t allowed to follow up on their questions. The candidates should have to answer to those people.

If you could ask the electorate to do one thing, besides vote, what would it be?

I would ask people to accept the decision -- whatever it happens to be -- with dignity and unity as a democracy, instead of with divisiveness and the blame game.

We have to remember we’re all Americans. Democracy means someone will have to lose.

Unite, unify and work in a bipartisan way.

My thanks to Lynn Doyle for taking the time to answer questions.

No comments: