Monday, January 05, 2015

Watching "The Interview"

Over the holidays I watched the controversial movie, "The Interview."  Here are some thoughts:

It's funny.

It's often crass and juvenile.

The story could easily have been about a fictitious country.  Using a real head of state did not alter the plot.  Whether this was done to court controversy or was simply due to naivete is a matter of opinion.  If another country had made such a movie about a living leader of our country we would be pretty upset about it.

Much to my surprise I enjoyed it, or at least large parts of it.

If you have access to the film and a couple of hours to spare it might be worth your while to watch, if only to see what the fuss is about.  

When Salman Rushdie's Satanic Verses came out I bought a copy to support Rushdie, but never read the book.  It was for similar reasons that I watched this movie.

No comments: