Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Trivedi Joins PAC

Dr. Manan Trivedi, two time candidate for Pennsylvania's 6th congressional district, has joined the board of a new political action committee, Americans for the Protection of Children.  He sent out the following email last week (fundraising links removed):

Yesterday Congress failed our children. The Senate had the opportunity to pass simple legislation to stop gun violence -- background checks -- and they could not muster the political courage to act. Why? When 90% of Americans support background checks, why would Congress fail to act?
The answer is simple: fear of the NRA and their Washington lobbyists.
That is why my friends and I, many of whom are parents of young children, are launching a new organization to fight back.
Because the only way we will ever get common sense gun safety laws is when we beat the politicians that do the NRA's bidding.
After the election in November I took a step back from politics. I was so thankful for your support in the campaign and proud of what we did together, but I needed some time to focus on my family and work as a physician. I can't sit quietly any longer.
Recently I discovered that, as a doctor, I am on the NRA's "enemies list." That's right. The NRA keeps a list of enemies that includes pediatricians, trauma surgeons, nurses, and the American Medical Association. It's actually a group of people I am proud to be associated with.
And united we can have a major impact.
As a battalion surgeon, I have seen firsthand what military weapons do to the human body.As a parent, I want to make sure that weapons that belong on the battlefield are kept out of our schools, our malls, our movie theaters, our places of worship, and off our streets.
We need to stop them and we need to start today.
Manan Trivedi

No comments: