Saturday, September 24, 2005

Young Chicks

I like the New Yorker. You may have noticed that, given the number of times I have quoted it in this blog. Today, though, I am not happy with it.

The mailman delivered the Sept. 26th issues, with a "Fashion Rocks" supplement (fashion + music = style). It highlights a number of musicians, mostly solo performers, but two groups were included. I have listed them here by gender, with their ages. If I had to look up the age elsewhere it is in brackets.

Women
Alicia Keys / 24
Gwen Stefani / [36]
Joss Stone / 18
Destiny's Child / (group, ages 24, 24, 25)
Shakira / 28

Men
David Bowie / [58]
Billy Idol / 50
Tim McGraw / [38]
Duran Duran / (group, one age listed at 43, others described as in 40's)
Nelly / 31
Rob Thomas / 33

Does anybody notice any differences here? Of the five women (or group of women), only one is over 30, and she is 36. Only one of the remaining four is over 25. Of the six men (or group of men), all are over 30, three are in their 30's, the group is in the 40's, and two are 50 or over.

Just looking at the photos, only three of those featured are people of color. Other performers are given paragraph descriptions. I focused solely on the articles of a page or more.

Things like this just really annoy me.

[Note: one inappropriate spammed comment removed.]

No comments: