Monday, January 19, 2015

An Update to "A Tale of Two Marriages"

In August of 2013 I wrote a post called "A Tale of Two Marriages," in response to a column in the Phladelphia Gay News.  Abington Township Commissioner (Montco) Lori Schreiber had written about the fact that she and her partner could not legally marry.  I wrote about what the legality of marriage means, referencing points in my own marriage, privileges available to me and my male spouse but not to Schreiber and female partner.

Times change.  The Sunday Inquirer regularly spotlights a recent marriage.  This Sunday the marriage in the "Love" column is on Schreiber's October marriage.  Now she and her beloved will have the same rights, privileges, and responsibilities that my beloved and I do.

Congrats to the happy couple, and to all those who can now marry.

No comments: