Thursday, August 25, 2005

Nonpartisan? Unbiased? I Don't Think So

Last night I received a call from a young woman who wanted me to join an organization. There are no membership costs and they would never ask me for money. The organization was energy-related and they wanted to send me information from time to time on energy-related issues in an unbiased nonpartisan way so that I could contact policymakers and legislators if I wanted. I asked her where the organization's funding came from if they didn't plan on asking members for money. She said it was funded by electric companies and the coal industry. I thanked her kindly and said I did not think the information I would receive would be nonpartisan or unbiased and declined to join. It's kind of scary when you think about it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jane,

Don't look at me! Long live Bipartisan-ism (? - oh, whatever. I'm allowed to make stuff up - It's Friday).

BipartisanBetty

AboveAvgJane said...

Betty,

Always great to hear from you! And you are allowed to make stuff up on the other six days of the week, too. ;)