from the inbox:
This Saturday, September 28th the plaza facing Eakins Oval at the Philadelphia Museum of Art will host Campus Philly’s annual College Day festival, welcoming and helping students start exploring Philadelphia.
For many, this event makes a dramatic impression. “My first Campus Philly College Day was 10 years ago and it was my first experience seeing Philadelphia beyond the borders of Temple University's campus,” says Rashid Zakat, now a Philadelphia-based artist and videographer. “I met friends from other universities and became acquainted with organizations that now I’m involved in. Campus Philly College Day exposed me to Philadelphia's art, culture and opportunities, all major factors that have kept me happy living in Philadelphia.”
College Day features:
- Free admission to museums along the Benjamin Franklin Parkway and Old City, including: Philadelphia Museum of Art, the Perelman Building and Rodin Museum, Franklin Institute, Moore College of Art and Design, Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University, Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, National Museum of American Jewish History, Philadelphia History Museum, African American Museum in Philadelphia and National Constitution Center.
- Opportunity to sign-up for Open Arts, Campus Philly’s new cultural access program for college students to explore the city on a budget.
- Local and national partners and vendors connecting Philadelphia’s newest residents with opportunities, special offers, giveaways and games, from foosball to climbing walls.
- Involvement Fair featuring local non-profits and community organizations with opportunities for students to meet their community and make an impact.
- More than 6,000 students from 80 schools enjoying music and food on the front steps of the City of Brotherly Love.
“College Day is the best way for college students to kick off their connection to Philadelphia in ways that will shape their experience of the city, of college and their future here,” says Campus Philly’s President, Deborah Diamond. “As an organization, we focus on the three drivers for students to build lasting connections to Philadelphia: involvement in the community; access to internships and the richness of our arts and culture.”
College Day is sponsored by Campus Philly’s partner colleges and universities, the City of Philadelphia, Philadelphia Parks & Recreation, Army ROTC, Bottom Dollar Food, IKEA, and is produced in partnership with the Philadelphia Museum of Art, and the cultural institutions and attractions of the City of Philadelphia.
For more details on this event please visit campusphilly.org/collegeday