Montgomery County is sending out information about the West Nile Virus. The county has started some spraying to kills off mosquito larvae and may be spraying to kill adult mosquito later. Residents who wish to be notified of this can sign up for the ReadyNotify alerts at https://montco.alertpa.org. Residents must register for “Health Alerts” to get notifications from the Health Department about WNV sprays and other emergent and non-emergent issues. Other information about WNV, including products used can be found at the Health Department website, http://health.montcopa.org.
Here are some safety tips:
Reduce Exposure to Mosquitoes
- Check and repair windows and screens to prevent mosquitoes from entering your home.
- Eliminate any standing water that collects on your property.
- Survey your property and dispose of containers that can collect standing water such as: old tires, cans, bottles, buckets, toys.
- After it rains empty any plant containers, bird baths, flowerpots, kiddie pools and pool covers to keep water from collecting in these items.
- Make sure roof gutters drain properly and rooftops are free of standing water.
- Clean and chlorinate swimming pools, outdoor saunas and hot tubs. Keep them empty and covered if not in use; drain water that collects in pool covers.
- Drill several holes in the bottom of recycling buckets so water can drain from them. Trash containers should be covered so no rain can accumulate in them.
- Use an approved mosquito repellant when outdoors in areas where mosquitoes are active. Apply insect repellent sparingly to exposed skin. FOLLOW THE LABEL DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY. Do NOT apply to face.
- NEVER ALLOW CHILDREN TO APPLY REPELLENTS. Parents should avoid applying repellents to the hands of children
- Check with a physician before applying repellents to very young children (less than 3 years old).
- Avoid mosquito-breeding areas during peak periods of mosquito activity.
- Wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants, making sure to cover feet and ankles.
- Discuss any concerns with your private physician.