Monday, March 26, 2012

Two Noted Authors with PA Roots

Looking around in Barnes & Noble this weekend I noticed something interesting.  Two award winning authors, most notable for their young adult books, have Pennsylvania connections.

Lois Duncan, whose novel I Know What You Did Last Summer was made into a movie some years ago, was one of my favorite authors when I was in high school and it is wonderful to see that she is still writing, moreso that her works are still popular.  Another of her books, Killing Mr. Griffin, is often required reading in high school English or reading classes.  She also wrote a heart-breaking book about her daughter's murder.  She was born in Philadelphia.

E. L. Konigsburg, won the Newbery Medal for From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler and has written a number of other titles, grew up in Pennsylvania.  As a kid, I loved the idea of living in a museum.  As an adult, and having slept on the floor of the Franklin Institute while chaperoning youth groups, I changed my mind.



No comments: