Monday, September 13, 2010

Micek in Politico Playbook

I'm a little late with this, but last Friday Morning Call reporter and Capitol Ideas blogger John Micek was quoted in Mike Allen's Politico Playbook. The occasion was David Broder's 81st birthday and assorted remembrances of him. Here is Micek's:

--John L. Micek, State Capitol Reporter, The Morning Call, Harrisburg, Pa.: “I'm sure every state political reporter has their own memory of running into Mr. Broder on the campaign trail. Here's mine: It's 1997, I'm 27, and a young reporter in the Medill News Service's graduate program on Capitol Hill. I was working that term for the Observer-Times of Fayetteville, N.C., and one slow afternoon, found myself in the House press gallery watching a debate on tobacco crop insurance subsidies -- it was a big issue for the farmers of Fayetteville, N.C. In strolls David Broder with press gallery superintendent Jerry Gallegos. They chatted for a minute, and then Mr. Broder sat down to watch the debate. Plucking up my courage, I went over and introduced myself. True to every story I've heard about him, he was warm and genial, and not the least bit imposing for someone of his stature. 'So, what's going on here today, John?' he asked me. And there I found myself, a young reporter, explaining the vagaries of tobacco crop insurance subsidies to a man who's forgotten more about American politics than I'll ever know. He listened attentively and asked questions when appropriate. It was an important lesson. As much as we think we know about our beats, there's always something new to learn -- no matter how long you've been doing it. So it's a pleasure to wish Mr. Broder a happy birthday. I feel privileged to have had that one brush with him.”


Congrats on well-deserved recognition.

No comments: