Sunday, March 14, 2010

A New PA Political App

The ipod Mr J. gave me for Christmas has become my favorite toy. One of the first apps I downloaded was Congress in Your Pocket -- a congressional directory with district maps, contact info, brief bios, etc. I love it. The same company has just now made available a similar app for state government in Pennsylvania, "Pennsylvania in Your Pocket." I went all out and spent about $10 for the "pro" version of this. It also provides photos, committee assignments, contact info, some campaign finance data, and brief biographies. There are a few errors -- Sen. Stack's biography seems to have been grafted onto Sen. Leach's entry, which is quite possibly equally alarming to both of them. The campaign news function seems to scoop up online sources that contain the elected official's name which is not always relevant to that particular person.

All the same I'm almost giddy at the thought of having all this data at my fingertips at all times. My train rides are going to be a lot more fun now. Who wouldn't want to pass the time perusing info on the state legislature? Sudoku and the New Yorker just seem boring by comparison!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I downloaded it too, and it's by far the most expensive app I've ever bought - usually I'll hesitate even at $0.99. It is so worth it!