Saturday, March 27, 2010

Leftovers from the New Yorker

I've been catching up on my reading. Here are a few interesting notes from the New Yorker.

"The Daley Show," by Evan Osnos (3/08), on Chicago's Mayor Daley.

Ed Rendell, the governor of Pennsylvania and a former mayor of Philadelphia told me [of Daley], "He's the best mayor in the history of the country, I think."

Daley's wife, born Maggie Corbett, is the daughter of a suburban Pittsburgh auto-parts dealer.

The March 15th issue included a "Financial Page" column called "Special Interest," by James Surowiecki. It's a little trick to explain or understand, but as I grasp it, money managers at public companies you pay regular taxes. Money managers at privately held partnerships, such as hedge funds, pay capital gains, at a much lower rate. A bill to close this loophole passed in the House. As of Surowiecki's writing the Senate had not taken up the bill. This is definitely something that should be fixed.

No comments: