Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A Once in a Lifetime Sight

A training session kept me off my beloved trains today, and on the road, even worse, the Schuylkill Expressway. Knowing the president was going to be in town I was expecting rush hour to be bad and made appointments at times to hopefully miss the problem area. As it turned out I got to the highway entrance just as it was being reopened for traffic. It was a surreal view -- completely empty lanes on both sides of the highway. Someone should have gotten it on film for the next post-apocalyptic sci fi movie. Reality set back in when we reached the point where traffic was still being held on the other side of the highway. The backup went on for miles; some people had gotten out of their cars and were sitting on the median walls. I hope they all got to wherever they were headed eventually.

No comments: