Sunday, August 03, 2008

Day Trip: DC

Last week I went to DC for a day, just me, no husband no kids. The train ride down was quiet. It was a nice mix of meeting up with people and just walking around (solitude with scenery). I walked from the Capitol 13 blocks the wrong way down Pennsylvania Avenue before figuring that out and hopping the Metro back to where I was supposed to be. In the afternoon I walked from Metro Center down past the Federal Triangle, along Constitution Avenue to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial (aka the Wall). Pa was a platoon sergeant in Nam and unless scheduling forbids this is a ritual stop for me when I am in the city. This time there were several laminated photos and biographies of soldiers left along the Wall, along with the usual flowers and other mementos. I wonder if the photos were new or are left there until the wind or weathering takes them. When Maya Lin suggested the design for the memorial it was very controversial; I remember reading about it at the time. People called it a “gash of shame” and yet now it is accepted. The list of names is very powerful.

Walking back I stopped at the World War II Memorial. Mr. J’s father served in the Pacific so I pay my respects there as well. There are pillars around a reflecting pool, one for each state. On one side of each pillar there is a sculptural wreath of oak leaves and on the other a wreath of wheat sheaves. Or at least that’s what it looks like to me. Two people stopped me for directions (I have one of those “ask me for directions” faces, which is unfortunate as I could get lost going down a flight of stairs). Back to the Federal Triangle and back up around Metro Center.

The Warner Theater has one of those “Walk of the Stars” out front. I noted Chris Rock, Eric Idle, Tommy Tune, and Prince. A star with the performer’s name on it is above a block with that person’s signature. Except Prince, the signature block was blank. Near the White House traffic was stopped while a motorcade went by. I didn’t recognize the flag on the cars but it was black and green and had a crescent moon on it, with fringe on the flag.

There was only one awkward moment. I was going into a building that had metal detectors. The security guard at the door said he wasn’t letting anyone in that day wearing a pink sweater. I paused not quite knowing how to respond. Security guards are not known for joking around. He did let me in though. About 20 minutes later as I was leaving a man was coming in wearing a tie with a white background and a dark brown swirl on it. It looked like someone had squirted chocolate sauce on his tie. So I said to the security guard, “You comment on my sweater but don’t say a word to that guy about his tie?” The guard replies, “He’s a guy.” Then he stared at me as I left the building and watched me walk up the sidewalk. Memo to self: Never ever try to kid with a security guard. No good can come of it.

A little more walking, travel from appointment to appointment, meeting with nice people, and it was time to train home.

No comments: