Wednesday, April 09, 2008

No Signs for You!

Many of the political figures who have endorsed Sen. Obama say they were encouraged to do so by their children. In this case the rich (and/or well-known) are not different from you and me. My children sent me on a quest to find an Obama yard sign. You don't see many yard signs on my street -- it just isn't done. We had one some years ago when someone the kids knew was running for office and they badgered me until I got one. I set it up half underneath a tree in the front yard. The kids moved it to a more prominent spot. We wanted to encourage their interest in politics, but hopefully in ways that don't involve cluttering up the yard and annoying the neighbors.

When they started asking for an Obama sign I tried to deflect, but they kept at it. So I tracked down an Obama campaign office and set out. The office was busy and I had to wait in line for about 10 minutes to just talk to the receptionist. There were two small group meetings in session and a number of people making calls. The one call I was able to overhear was very impressive. The guy really knew his stuff. Unfortunately there were no signs to be had and none likely until next week. Maybe the kids will be happy with campaign buttons.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have an issue to raise about the Obama rally in Bristol on Wednesday.

Why was King Coal allowed to ride in on their minivan chariots without tickets and pass out their lies? The security was only allowing people with tickets to come onto the school grounds, but the coal industry was allowed to roll right in.

I saw a guy in a polar bear outfit with a stop oil sign and he was not allowed on the school grounds.

Why the double standard?

Anonymous said...

My children also want signs-
their reasons are reflected in my stories of how nafta shut the steel mills down
how foreign interest now own our mortgages and most of how it is important to be honest when dealing with the public.

our yard signs not only represent my children but my fathers dream destroyed by the Clinton machine

AboveAvgJane said...

Questioning,

Can you tell me a little more about "King Coal?" Were there people from a certain company? I can look into it but need some details.

Mike, I hope you have better luck finding a sign than I did.

eRobin said...

Re: King Coal - that must be where my friend got the "Clean Coal" hat she was wearing so happily today. I asked her what in the world she was thinking wearing it and she said she didn't know about the issue, she got it at the Obama rally and it was free! So she's supposed to be googling "clean coal" today to see what's the what. I think she's going to be pretty disappointed.