Monday, May 15, 2006

Election Reminder

I'm blogging from the local public library. There is a thunderstorm near my house and it is playing havoc with dsl. The Friends of the Library's meeting conflicts with the kid's school PTA so for several years my contribution to the Friends (besides membership) has been a pan of brownies for each Friends election day bake sale. While I'm here and their internet is working I thought I'd blog just in case it doesn't get resolved at home.

As a side note, GOP incumbent Rep. Mike Fitzpatrick (PA-08) has introduced legislation that would make it impossible for me to do this (read more here on Blinq). He wants filters in schools and public libraries that would block social spaces like myspace and blogger. While I agree strongly that children do need to be protected from online predators I think they are far more at risk from the unsupervised pc in their room than a terminal in public view at the local library. Plus, those who do not have internet access at home and depend on the library for their connections are also cut off. That's a lot of senior citizens and lower income people of all ages. Not good. Public libraries are the people's university.

On a purely personal note I have always depended on libraries for my internet access while on vacation. No matter how remote the location there is bound to be a public library with a terminal available somewhere within driving distance. Tiny modular buildings near the beach, double wide trails in the mountains, you name it, there is a library near it. Restricting access in these places would be, in effect, restricting access for much of the public at large.

But, I digress. My main point for tonight's post is how disappointed I've been by the response from people at church, at the kids' school, along the street, etc. to my reminders about tomorrow's election. Most people have no idea that there is one, let alone who is running. Sad, very sad.

Remember to vote tomorrow. I'll be out bright and early (or rainy and early as the case may be). In statewide races I'm going for Sandals (senate) and McDonald Roberts (lt gov). Vote for whoever you want, just vote.

No comments: