Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Election Day

I stopped to vote on the way to work. I like to vote early because it makes me happy for the rest of the day. My step is lighter and I'm more inclined to sing or hum under my breath. Something about voting just lifts my spirits like few other public acts can.

I had researched the candidates, read the newspaper articles and endorsements, ditto with the web. The local races can be the toughest because they get the least amount of press and keystrokes. Sometimes there's no competition. One local representative was running unopposed and I don't care for the incumbent so I left that one blank. The incumbent will win but by a smaller percentage. It is a small voice of protest but if enough people do it there can be an impact on the official's electoral future.

If you haven't voted today, please take the time to do so. Even if there are no "important" races in your area, please vote. If you don't want to vote because you don't know the issues, just stop at the polls and push one or two buttons where you think you will do the least damage, to improve the turnout. Or take a sample ballot from the representative of the party of your choice at the door and follow that.

Please vote.

2 comments:

WebGuy said...

Even though there really aren't any races in PA, even locally, I did my civic duty today. Apparently turnout was average for an odd year.

AboveAvgJane said...

I dance a jig in your honor!