Monday, October 10, 2005

Small Things That Make Me Happy

Every now and then I see something or something happens, something relatively ordinary, that lifts my spirits and makes my day.

Here is a list of recent small things that made me happy

1) A grocery store clerk was really helpful to me a year ago this summer. The store has a photo of the manager up so next time I saw the manager I made a point of telling him how helpful this kid (high school?) had been. A few weeks ago I saw the young man wearing a tie instead of an apron (a sure sign that he was being promoted to management). He looked a little nervous but determined. I wish him well.

2) In August I took the Little Janes plus some friends bowling. It was a good way to fritter away an afternoon and did not involve me wearing a swimsuit. When we arrived most of the groups bowling were parents with young children. Somewhere in our second game the family next to us left and we found ourselves sharing a circle of seats and a ball return with four young men, early 20's. Two were tall. Two were short. Two were African American. Two were caucausian. Three were thin. One was not. A mixed group in many ways. Initially I thought "oh, no," worried about language, rowdiness, and rough talk about women. I imagine they were equally thrilled sharing a space with us. But they really surprised me. They bowled quietly, talking among themselves and sharing a pizza. One slipped and fell but got back up without a single curse. They others teased him a little, but in a good natured way. We left before they did and I was tempted to go back and thank them for presenting such a good example to the boys in my group, but figured they would find that very odd. I made a point of talking to the kids about the young men bowling next to us, how they had encouraged and teased each other, and how they probably got together once a week or a couple of times a month to go bowling, and the importance of making and keeping good friends.

3) Last week I was going through the express line at the grocery store. The woman behind me had a loaf of Italian bread and some grapes. "How very European," I said, "all you need is some cheese." She laughed and we chatted a little. Then we both looked at my purchases, two bags of baking chips, a Mt. Dew, and some butter. "Hmmm, I don't come off so well, do I" I asked her. She smiled and said, quite truthfully, "No, I'm afraid not." It was just one of those quick, transient conversations, pleasant but passing, that helps me be optimistic about people. I tuck these memories away to be reviewed on those days when it seems like the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

No comments: