Monday, September 05, 2005

Labor Day Labors

Last year on Labor Day I took a big garbage bag out to the kids' elementary school and picked up the playground. Thinking it would be a good tradition I did the same thing today. Some other people or facilities employees must have been keeping up with it over the summer because there wasn't that much trash around, mostly some soda cups and cans and straws. I took the little Janes and they played on the swings, etc. while I worked. The easiest most efficient way to pickup a large area is to mentally mark out a grid and walk it, up and down, eyes on the ground scanning just up ahead of my feet. I must look like a lunatic. This year, like last year, there was another parent with kids out playing, one last time before the school year starts up next week. It's a nice opportunity to talk with a parent that I wouldn't otherwise meet.

It is these little things that help me keep my equilibrium. When something like Katrina happens it is easy to feel helpless and overwhelmed. By doing my small part to keep my corner of the universe tidy, and making small contributions to the world at large, I can add another timely piece to the puzzle, a hurricane relief donation at Rite Aid, care packages, a small donation to Red Cross, and go on my merry way. The Red Cross is made up of an army of individual volunteers, just like you and me. So are all other large and small scale organizations and groups everywhere. Pick up a broom and find yourself a few small spots. It can help you keep your sanity when unbelievable craziness erupts around you.

[Note: one spammed comment removed]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.