Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Purple Thumb

I want a purple thumb. Not a purple plum, a purple thumb. You remember the picture of the young Iraqi woman showing her stained thumb proudly, as evidence that she had voted? I want that. I want people who vote to have some tangible proof, a public sign. Years ago I lived in a state that handed out “I voted” buttons at the polls. Some people didn’t take them. Other sdiscarded them quickly. I wore mine all day. If I could I would have glued it to the end of my nose so people could have seen it better.

To be fair, let me tell you I get irrational around elections, not in a fervor over particular candidates, but afterwards, when I see voter turnout figures. Call it PES, post-election syndrome; it will pass in a few days. In my area only 11% of eligible voters voted, around 1 in 9. That’s just terrible. I think there ought to be a way for those who voted to recognize each other, to celebrate our tribal bond.

Devout Catholics have a smudged forehead on Ash Wednesday. Jewish men wear yarmulkes. Christians can wear crosses. Why not an ultraviolet stamp at the polls, like the ones used at concerts, or the ink-stained thumb? A sticker, a pin, anything. Early voters could nod in solidarity as the day passed. The ink stain would stay on for a few days until the skin sloughed off. You could look at your colleagues, friends, and neighbors, glance down subtly at their hands. One quick eye movement is all you’d need. Would you smile in support or give them a “I’m so disappointed in you” headshake? No words would be needed.

One of the people I had talked to about voting for Seth Williams asked me today who had won. I said the incumbent but that I was sure he would have a chance to vote for Seth Williams again in the future. Two other people have asked me why I supported Williams. It was too late for them to vote but maybe it will spark their interest for next time.

I’m always torn between wanting to get people out to vote and thinking that if you don’t know who the candidates or issues are maybe you should stay home. I’ve never liked the people who stand outside the polls and hand out literature, but then I usually have a list of selected candidates with me. Mr. Jane and I have similar political views so we will sometimes divvy up races. For example, maybe he will take school board and I’ll take judges. We each research the candidates and then give the other a list of recommendations. I suppose that’s no different from party endorsements but I trust Mr. Jane more than the party. I tell myself that I would be happy to see extremely high turnouts even if it meant candidates I supported lost (although that usually happens anyway), but I don’t know if that’s true or self-delusion.

In the meantime I’d like an inky thumb.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe when we swipe our real id cards to get to/fro places in the next five years it'll announce whether or not each of us has voted.

But on the real, I agree with you. Voting is something that I do every chance I get now and Americans on the whole have a serious case of voter apathy. Why do European countries have 80%+ turnout and here 50% is astounding.

AboveAvgJane said...

Albert,

Thanks for the comment. I don't know why Americans don't vote. Our literacy and infant mortality rates aren't that good comparatively speaking either. As the King of Siam said in the movie, "is a puzzlement."