Friday, March 25, 2005

Contrasting Candidates

Spring is in the air. The crocuses and other early blooming flowers are sending up shoots. The azalea leaves are starting to green. The other night I heard a flock of geese flying back from Florida or wherever they go to winter. The primary candidates are starting to pop up also. This past week I met two of them.

One came to the door. He is one of four candidates for judge. I’m not sure what he was expecting. At most houses he probably hands over his flyer and is on his way. I answer the door and he gives me his palm card. I look at it. The conversation between me (J) and him (C ):

J: So, you’re running for judge against candidates A, B, and C (listing off their names)
C: Where did you see that? (looking aghast)
J: I don’t know. Read it somewhere, I guess.
C: Where? In the paper?
J: I don’t know. Maybe.
C: Was it in today’s paper? I haven’t seen it. I didn’t see it in today’s paper.
J: Maybe it wasn’t in the paper.
C: Where did you see who was running?
J: I don’t remember. Maybe I saw it somewhere else.
C: Where?
J: I don’t know. Maybe I read it on the Internet.
C: Where on the Internet?
J: I don’t know. Maybe it was on a politicspa message board.
C: What’s your name? (looking at street printout)
J: Above Average Jane (okay, so that’s not what I told him but you get the drift). So, is the incumbent doing a bad job?
C: I think I could do a better job. I’m more qualified.
J: What’s the incumbent doing wrong?
C: I could be tougher.
J: The incumbent isn’t tough enough?
C: I could be tougher.
I step down off the porch. With every step I take towards him he steps back. By the time I reach the bottom he says he needs to get home for dinner and takes off. Now, honestly, if the guy is cowed by a short (height being one of the few things I am below average in), middle-aged, pasty-faced mom in a baggy sweatshirt and jeans, how is he going to be tough on crime? If he is flustered by a voter who knows all the candidates in a race, how is he going to handle those shark-like lawyers in the courtroom? I was not impressed and will find someone else to vote for.

The other candidate I met is someone I had met once before. The first time I saw him, about 4 months ago, he struck me as a slightly ratty looking kid, maybe 25, bad haircut, disheveled clothes, but smart and with good intentions. This week he was well-groomed, hair combed and cut, button shirt, slacks. He shook hands with everyone at the table, a good, firm candidate’s handshake. I commented on this and asked him if he brought self-addressed envelopes for campaign contributions. Someone told me I was being snide. I wasn’t being snide; I was being me. Maybe it’s the same thing. He took it in stride. People in the room knew who he was running against. He wasn’t startled by this. He made thoughtful comments, asked good questions, and took lots of notes. He oozed earnestness and youthful enthusiasm. He is the underdog and knows it, but is still determined and purposeful. I talked with him a little after the meeting was over. He offered to help on a project that would be of mutual interest. I can’t vote for him, wrong jurisdiction, but think he would be good for the job. Today I sent him a miniscule check, $25.00. Might buy him a few yard signs. I wish there were more like him.

No comments: